Thursday, April 23, 2009

Drowning.....too.....much......stuff.......

We're working toward putting our house on the market. I was hoping to do touch-up painting this week, but I looked around and thought I'd better get rid of stuff first. What a job that's turned out to be! I spent nearly two hours in the boys room yesterday going through their drawers and closet - I brought out 4 huge bags - 3 for donations and 1 full of garbage. GARBAGE!!! We're talking peanuts, peanut shells, candy wrappers, broken toys, ripped clothes, holey shoes, etc. Couldn't believe it. I keep passing Vicki's room, opening the door, and then shutting it again; I'm dreading that black hole.
I'm going through drawers and cupboards and closets, finding things I can't believe we have. Where does all this stuff come from? If I didn't know better I'd think junk is capable of asexual reproduction.
I have to admit, my office is probably the WORST place in the whole house. I don't have candy wrappers stashed anywhere, but I have books and papers and more papers and piles and piles of more books. The closet is full of mailing supplies, tax boxes, wrapping paper, mementos, and school supplies that I got for a bargain - bags of it.
So far I have 8 large garbage bags full of donations - and that's from going through three rooms.
It's all so overwhelming, and I feel like I'm drowning in stuff, and need to come up regularly for air.
After all this de-cluttering, painting is going to be a breeze!

3 comments:

CatherineK said...

I can feel your pain of trying to declutter. I've given up on the kids' rooms! Have fun with the painting!

You are in our prayers.

Heather said...

I didn't know you guys were moving - where are you moving to? I hate painting... I think I'd take the de-cluttering over painting anyday! :)

Have you heard word on how Kervens is doing? You are all in our prayers!

Deborah said...

We'd like to move to a hobby farm, but we can't do that until we sell this house. Kervens is doing well. For that we're grateful!
Thanks for your prayers!!