Monday, June 2, 2008

Giddyup Gals



I just have to share this picture and reminisce a bit about my trip in January that my friend Michelle treated me to. Last summer she made plans to come here to AZ for a "girls" vacation at Los Caballeros in Wickenburg, AZ. I can't believe how quickly January came - of course I was chomping at the bit to have time away from the kids and time with Michelle. The ranch was really beautiful and the accommodations very, very nice. We were on the "Giddyup Gals" weekend with lots of other women, who focused their time riding horses or spending time at the spa. We both love horses, and don't get enough time riding them, so we chose to ride horses all weekend. We went on a nature ride, and a couple of full out running rides, which were an absolute blast. I rode a Mustang - and golly I can't remember his name!! He was 20 years old, and was wild as a youngster. He could really go when he was ready! Michelle's horse was very steady, a little rough, and didn't like running a whole lot, which in the end, was a blessing. The very last run of the very last ride, my horse rounded a corner (the last one, of course!) and nearly ran into another horse who had fallen in a soft sandy spot. I was thrown off. Thank GOD I'm still here, and OK. I was pretty shaken and probably had a bit of a concussion, but got back on the horse (I refused to walk!!). It took about a month of special adjustments and massage to get back to normal. Next time I have a horse run, I'm wearing a helmet!
I had a wonderful, wonderful time with Michelle, and being with horses. We met some really interesting women - one who vacationed by herself once a year; one who was German and published a Southwest magazine for German readers; a mother and daughter pair who had stories that often seemed too unreal to believe, but they probably were true! The daughter works at a zoo in North Carolina. There was an ornery and foul ranch manager, and wonderful ranch hands - funny singers in the bar and friendly staff. We even got to see where Dan Quail's parents live! Whoopee! We had a wonderful naturalist named Dick who shared many things about the desert that I didn't know; but most definitely the BEST part of it all.....spending time with Michelle.
Thanks for the memories, Michelle!

No comments: