Monday, June 16, 2008

Going To The Cats






WELL.....
We weren't going to get anymore cats. I was considering fostering cats and kittens with a local group here, although Karl never warmed up to the idea. SO...we were coming out of Walmart Saturday morning, and Kervens said three very dangerous words: "Look mom, kittens!" There in a cage in the hot sun were these two cuties being given away for free. Now "free" scares me. What kind of people take a free cat? I stood there, kids begging, my mind churning - what kind of home will these kittens end up in? I asked the boy if he was going to sterilize the mom and while they're at it, all the rest of the animals in the house. "Please, mom, PLEEAASSEE!!" I knew I was being crazy, in fact, I wasn't thinking properly. That's what happens when I go to Walmart and there is too much stuff and the kids go crazy over all the things I COULD buy. I said "OK". The boy asked me which one I wanted. How insane is that? Of course we couldn't pick one, and leave the other behind. "We're taking both, and kids, your father is going to kill me." Vicki cried on the way home thinking her dad was going to be really mad at us all.
Karl walked into the garage, and was barraged by all three kids talking and making deals at the same time. He had no idea what they were talking about until he walked into the house and saw two gray kittens. His response "We can keep them - good thing they're gray!" The kids know they have to take a lot of the responsibility on their shoulders for these two; playing with them, feeding them, taking them to the litter box, and their favorite - cleaning the litter box.
We were told by the boy giving them away that the two were girls. Vicki was thrilled. After they were home a bit, I checked them out, and it was pretty obvious they are boys. Since we joked about them being Father's Day gifts, Karl had the privilege of coming up with names. Usually it takes us days to figure that out, but this time, it was pretty quick. Meet Felix (gray/white) and Oscar (gray).
It's loads of fun having two kittens. They love playing and sleeping together, and we have a ball watching them. Felix is smaller, thinner, more adventurous and playful. Oscar is bigger, a bit chunky, a little shy, and will fall asleep in your lap seconds after you start rubbing his neck.
Sydney (in picture above - our 17 y.o. female) and Frodo (other gray cat) are doing great with the kittens. Ollie and Sunny are curious, but a little on the threatened side. They'll be fine in a few days. Here's to healthy cats and cheap vet bills!!

No comments: